EPA Adaptation Planning
Climate change is already affecting communities, livelihoods, and environments. In response, many federal agencies are taking action to help Americans adapt to current and future risks. EPA is facilitating climate change adaptation efforts in the United States and abroad through:
- Climate change and water resources projects - EPA works with state, tribal, and local governments and public and private stakeholders to understand and respond to the impacts of climate change on water resources.
- Climate adaptation in the Superfund program - EPA's Superfund program supports climate change adaptation planning as standard operating practice in site cleanups.
- State and Local Climate and Energy Program - EPA provides technical assistance, analytical tools, and outreach support to state, local, and tribal governments, including information on climate adaptation and resilience planning.
- Adapting Buildings for Indoor Air Quality in a Changing Climate - EPA provides information on severe weather and indoor air quality, weatherization and ventilation strategies, and tips to help improve building resilience and prepare for weather extremes.
- International climate adaptation - EPA facilitates information-sharing on climate adaptation with communities and city planners in the developing world, which is particularly vulnerable to climate change.
EPA is integrating climate adaptation planning into its programs, policies, rules, and operations to continue fulfilling its mission of protecting human health and the environment, even as the climate changes. EPA’s efforts complement initiatives throughout the entire federal government to promote climate adaptation planning.
- EPA's Policy Statement on Climate Change Adaptation sets out several actions to guide EPA in building on the progress it has already made to promote climate resilience and adaptation.
- EPA's Climate Change Adaptation Plan identifies ways in which climate change could affect EPA's ability to fulfill its mission.
- EPA Program and Regional Office Plans detail how each office will integrate climate adaptation into its planning and work.
EPA Program Office Climate Change Adaptation Implementation Plans:
- Office of Administration and Resource Management
- Office of Air and Radiation
- Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention
- Office of International and Tribal Affairs
- Office of Land and Emergency Management
- Office of Research and Development
- Office of Water
EPA Regional Office Climate Change Adaptation Implementation Plans:
- Region 1 - CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, VT
- Region 2 - NJ, NY, PR, USVI
- Region 3 - DE, DC, MD, PA, VA, WV
- Region 4 - AL, FL, GA, KY, MS, NC, SC, TN
- Region 5 - IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI
- Region 6 - AR, LA, NM, OK, TX
- Region 7 - IA, KS, MO, NE
- Region 8 - CO, MT, ND, SD, UT, WY
- Region 9 - AZ, CA, HI, NV, Pacific Islands
- Region 10 - AK, ID, OR, WA